This Christmas we wanted to make a nice berry pie, but berries are obviously not in season right now. We opted to use frozen berries. My mom has had problems with a soggy crust while using fresh berries so I adjusted the recipe to help with any excess liquid. We did a fairly good job, you just want to make sure to either drain most of the liquid, or you can take some of the liquid & put it in a saucepan, heat it up & thicken it with a cornstarch slurry before adding it to your crust. The pie produces enough sauce as is, in my opinion, so my advice is to do what the recipe says & just drain most of it. This was a nice treat after our big Christmas dinner. I love pie!
Frozen Mixed Berry Pie
Recipe by: Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)
- Pie Dough-for bottom & top crusts
- 5-6 cups fruit (I used a frozen berry [blackberry, raspberry, blueberry] blend--thawed in the fridge overnight)
- 1 cup sugar, split in half (more or less depending on the tartness of the berries)
- 6 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
|Pie ready for oven...my butter cubes were a little big, cut them smaller.|
- Drain liquid, if any, from thawed berries. Add half the sugar. Let macerate for 5 min or so until the sugars make liquid release from the fruit. Drain most of the liquid.
- Mix other half of sugar with cornstarch & toss with drained fruit.
- Add immediately to prepared pie crust, top with small cubes of butter & remaining pie crust topper.
- Egg wash the top (or spray with a little cooking spray), & sprinkle with raw sugar/sugar crystals. Bake at 350*F for 1hr 15 min. or until crust on top is nice & golden brown and the filling is BUBBLING.
Yield: 1-9inch pie
|Finished...ready to eat!|